18 April 2011

Ikea dress, McFood Groups, duck curry and the Very Hungry Carlypillar

Sunday was nice. I spent much of it sleeping, cooking, planning some writing and excited about Darren Hayes' news.

Some of the day was spent with my new blogging friend Rebecca and her daughter. Bec is making me some clothes. Not that I need any more!

She has nearly finished the Ikea bedspread dress. It looks lovely. The fabric is gorgeous.
We went to Spotlight to get some fabric for my Very Hungry Caterpillar  Carlypillar skirt Bec is making for me. Because there was lots of cute patterns, we decided on two skirts. So pretty and so cheap!
I can't wait to wear them! Bec is very clever!

I'm not going to lie to you. I would have passed an audition for the Biggest Loser or Supersize Me on Sunday morning. To soak up the previous night's ciders, I ate many things from the McDonalds breaky menu.
I covered the five McFood Groups. Hotcakes, hashbrowns, sausage (no egg) McMuffin, thickshake and water. McHealthy.

So it was only sensible heart attack-preventing that I cooked up a storm for this week's dinners and lunches.

Mum brought me some lamb chops, a giant pumpkin, and these, which I can't wait to use. All from my parents' garden. Eggplant, passionfruit, eggplant relish and kasundi.
I made potato soup - using real chicken stock (a frozen roast chook carcass, three carrots and two cloves of garlic plus salt and pepper) and roast potatoes. Hearty and yum.
And I made a red duck curry. If anyone says they can't make a red duck curry, I'll order them to wash their mouth out with soap. It's easy. Especially with vacuum sealed Luv-a-Duck.
Cooking this curry involves opening jars, cans and bags. Perfect if you're time poor a procrastinator like me. I am a firm believer in packet frozen vegies for curries and pies. Even abbrev. vegetables into 'vegies' is good for the time poor.
 The most involved bit of the cooking was chopping the garlic.
I started by lumping tablespoons each of lemongrass, kaffir lime, coriander and garlic into a hot saucepan.
 I cooked these in the bit of duck fat from the packet.
 I cut the duck, then realised I didn't need such a big saucepan for such a small amount of duck.
 I put the duck in the saucepan with a big tablespoon of curry paste...
 Then poured in a small can of light coconut milk and half a tin of pineapple and its juice.
I then added the whole packet of vegies and left it to cook on low heat for around 40 minutes, or however long it took to write this blog.
Delicious!

Happy Monday everyone. It's a short week for most. 3.5 days for me. Then Easter/ANZAC day holiday. Then a trip to Brisbane where I may be meeting the incredible Faux Fuchsia. Hurrah!

12 comments:

  1. Wow the doona cover dress is looking fabulous so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, love the dress Carly!!!! Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is beautiful, Carly!

    I've never known what to do with those packets of duck at the supermarket. I'll have to give the duck curry a go.

    SSG xxx

    Sydney Shop Girl blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO glad you made your own stock Carly!!

    Yayayayayaayayaa!!!

    Can't wait to see the finished hungry carlypiller skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that curry is such a great idea (pineapple, yum!) I must try this one day, vegetarian style :)

    Cute dress also and cant wait to see you in your hungry carlypillar skirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm officially hungry now... And that dress is going to be gorgeous when it's done!

    I too could have been an entrant on the Biggest Loser yesterday. Turns out eating an entire bag of sour cream and chives Grain Waves in one sitting leads to gaining a kilo overnight. Who knew??!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm homemade Kasundi, cant wait to see that v hungry carlypillar skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking up a storm, I like it. & I'm in love with your dress Bec is making you!!!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is so beautiful Carly! Also, I just wanted to add:

    CURSE YOUUUUUUUUU! Now I want McDonalds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1)The dress is absolutely adorable! I was skeptical, but I was wrong.

    2)I am currently avoiding fast food like the plague!!! HOW DARE you show it to me!!!! :)

    PS--- I AM SOOOO EXCITED to have won the cards!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the dress and the style! The curry sounds lovely except for the pineapple ;(

    ReplyDelete
  12. That curry looks delicious and I am planning to try it this weekend, thankyou for posting!! :D
    That dress is going to look smashing on you, I love the cut and the print!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails