27 March 2011

Shaz's story - read it and be inspired and motivated

One of the young people I mentored through ChIPS is doing incredible things.

Sharlene (or Shaz as she prefers) is doing her final year of high school, with a goal to become a lawyer and fight for disability rights.

She captained a team of eight at the last camp I went on.

She is about to participate in and raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital's Run for the Kids - she will be getting out of her wheelchair to walk and run the five km track. The training she's done for the run is amazing, so dedicated. She's raised over $700 so far! You can sponsor her here. Here she is doing the 2010 Run for the Kids:

And last week she represented her local area and the state of Victoria at Parliament House in Canberra. She met the Governor-General Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC.

Shaz has cerebral palsy, but she doesn't let it stop her continual aspiration for excellence.

This girl's going places! I am so proud of her.

We have had many chats at camp, and I am so glad I got to meet this wonderful, driven young lady. She inspires and influences everyone she encounters. I encouraged her to start a blog, and on it she writes brilliant posts about her achievements.

Shaz gave me permission to share her story with my blog readers.
You can read her full blog entry about meeting the Governor General here. 

And while you're there, check out the other entries she has written.

My friend Shaz is a reminder that we can do anything, and we will do anything when we put our minds to it, no matter our adversities.

Keep reaching for the stars Shaz. You're a force to be reckoned with.

4 comments:

  1. Shaz is a total inspiration! I often wonder, if people like Shaz can accomplish so much when they have such big difficulties to overcome, then what's stopping the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so very much Carly hahaha i do remember when we first met you found lollies on my floor and then i tried to explain my reason for not sharing... i tried to say they fell out of my bag accidently and anyway we ended up all laughing all in the name of good spirits, this made me cry Carly as I never Knew i could inspire you as you always inspired me and continue to do so everyday.

    Thankyou, you met me at a time in my life when i ws struggling and now I am growing and learning from all the things you've taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic - I hope it goes awesomely for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to have been introduced to Shaz by you. She is amazingly inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails