16 August 2010

Music I've been Missing - 2006

It's been a while since I've done one of these. But today my memory was piqued by a conversation I had with a friend about our music tastes.

I mentioned Camille's Ta Douleur from her album Le Fil and couldn't quite hum the tune. And I couldn' sing the lyrics as they're in French. I love the sensuality and beat of the song. I first heard it in 2006 and recall traipsing through Sydney streets the day after the Darren Hayes concert at the Opera House to buy her CD.

This memory of Ta Douleur reminded me that 2006's music was the music I've been missing.

The first half of 2006 was a difficult time for me. Without going into too much detail, because of my no blogging about work rule, I was not coping at work and my health was suffering dramatically. I had 40 sick days in nine months. The situation was awful - it consumed me. I lost confidence. I lost the ability to believe in myself. And sometimes the ability to smile. The only thing I could think of to temporarily escape the situation and get 'Carly' back was to move home with my parents for four months in June of that year.

This move worked wonders. I gained confidence. I only had one sick day. I recovered. And I got Carly back.

Albury is a small town. And with small towns comes a limited choice... homogeneity, I guess. I find it hard to do things alone like I do in Melbourne because everyone goes out in groups. People go to nightclubs but all I want to do is see a band at a pub. And there is a commercial radio station that is pretty bland (sorry Ash, I know you read this!).

The move to Albury meant I was no longer commuting on the train - I drove 60 minutes to work and back each day. When I left Albury in 2003, I listened to the commercial radio station When I returned in 2006, I soon found out that this station was not for me. I couldn't bear Snow Patrol, Justin Timberlake or Kelly Clarkson after a week. So to save my sanity, I switched to Triple J.

I loved the tom foolery in the mornings with Jay and the Doctor. I loved hearing Robbie Buck on Friday afternoons when I finished early. And I loved Hack on my 5:30 trip home. Sometimes I'd drive further just to listen to more of Hack.

The music I discovered on Triple J was awesome too. And when I think about it now, I reckon those four months back in the country weren't so bad. I loved this way of discovering music. Just listening to the radio and hearing songs I liked. All because I chose to listen to another radio station. I got to do that more.

I got my health back on track.

I met some new people.

I saw some old friends.

I learned some new skills in a different job.

I saw Darren Hayes at the Opera House.

I hung out a lot with a boy I liked.

I spent time with my parents and dogs.

And I returned to Melbourne in October to a brand new beginning - and have never looked back. SO MANY opportunities have come my way since I moved back home and returned to Melbourne.

And in 2006 I discovered this music on Triple J.

Regina Spekor - Fidelity.

Regina is wonderful. I adore her quirky lyrics and vocal ability. I've seen her live and she is breathtaking.


Bob Evans - Nowhere Without You.

This is where my love affair with Bob Evans began.


Angus and Julia Stone - Paper Aeroplane

And this is where my love affair with Angus and Julia Stone began. I saw them later in 2006 and they were AMAZING. And I've followed them ever since. Been to every tour in Melbourne, plus one at Hepburn Springs, since 2006.


The Infadels - Love like Semtex

I can't say I know any other music by The Infadels. But I really enjoyed this song. Someone told me what semtex is. It's a cement.


Pony Up - The Truth about Cats and Dogs (is that they lie)

Like with Love like Semtex, I don' know any other Pony Up songs. This YouTube clip has reminded how cool the song is, so I may need to explore Pony Up.

Gotye - Heart's a Mess

This came on my iPod tonight on the train trip home, and I still found it as divine as I did in 2006. I feel like I'm moving in water when I listen to it.

Eskimo Joe - New York

While I'd been a fan of Eskimo Joe for a few years leading up to 2006, New York would have to be my favourite Eskimo Joe song. And seeing Kav Temperley live on Saturday night reminded me of how great Eskimo Joe are. I love the huskiness of Kav's voice.


The Eagles of Death Metal - I Want You So Hard

This song is a bit of fun! There's something sexy about the lead singer. It's the bogan in me lusting, I think. Again, no further Eagles of Death Metal consumption.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Phenomena

I don't think I am cool enough to listen to this band. But I still listen.

Gossip - Standing in the Way of Control

Again, I don't think I'm cool enough for Gossip!

On Australia Day 2007 I went to a Triple J Hottest 100 party. It was a great day with great songs.

2006's music was definitely the music I've been missing. I am so glad the temporary move enabled me to discover these wonderful artists, many of which I still listen to today. And I credit it to helping get Carly back.

5 comments:

  1. That is so freaky - I discovered Camille and Angus and Julia Stone via Ministry of Sound Chill Out Sessions CD's. I had Ta Douleur as my phone ring tone for three years, so now every time I hear the beginning, I think someone is calling me.
    I got to see Angus and Julia Stone purely by accident when they played back up for Kasey Chambers. They were so fabulous live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Lord. I LOVE Regina Spektor. I am so, so, so, so, so, so, so jealous you got to see her live! She's definitely on my list of dream concerts. She's a smart lady with amazing lyrics and a fantastic voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The decision to move must have been difficult but it was a brave one and I am so happy it paid off for you Carly, in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curlypops - I am seeing Angus and Julia live twice in September. They are fantastic.
    Funny about you liking Camille too.

    Mary - Regina is amazing live - you HAVE to see her. Wow.

    Louise - thanks! I am glad for the upheaval too, things are great now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a really rough time at work at the moment and although not exactly the same situation but have had a fair bit of time off over the past 9 months due to my mum being in and out of hospital and me being in a car accident. After going back through your blogs and reading this one, I can see that other people go through the same thing and they do get over it, Thank you for sharing it has helped me realise there is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails