19 August 2010

Music I've Been Missing - cover versions

I've been wanting to do one of these for ages. Cover versions. Because I love them. And they're the music I've been missing.

I love these covers more than the original. The way the artists have interpreted the originals is to be commended. I enjoy that there is something different in the cover songs. I know there are some bad cover versions out there but I think these really show the artists' versatility and pay respect to the original.

I apologise for some of the songs not having moving video clips, but I hope you enjoy the songs anyway.

The first few are Australian artists. I adore Australian music out of any other genre.

Genevieve Maynard's Am I ever Gonna See Your Face Again?, originally by The Angels is a favourite cover of mine - Gen, I know you sometimes read my blog, can you please put a YouTube video of Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again up to showcase your talent in this song? Meanwhile, you can hear a bit of it here.

Bertie Blackman - In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)

This was done for Triple J Like a Version. When I first heard it, I was blown away. I really like Bertie Blackman and I think this shows off how powerful and controlled her voice is.

Sarah Blasko - Flame Trees (Cold Chisel)

This song is from the movie Little Fish. The movie is so brilliant, Cate Blanchett is so beautiful and Sarah Blasko's cover of the classic pub-rock song by  Cold Chisel adds magic to the movie.


Darren Hayes - Lost Without You (Delta Goodrem)

This was a tribute to Delta Goodrem at the 2003 ARIA Awards. I was told by a source very close to Darren that Darren's appearance was a surprise, even to Delta. Sometimes I sing this song in the shower, emulating Darren's vocal style. I am not as good as him. But if I keep practising...

Megan Washington and the Bamboos

I've become a fan of Megan Washington this year. She reminds me of Missy Higgins without the drawl. This song is very cool. I like the Kings of Leon version just as much.


The Vines - Ms Jackson (Outkast)

I like the Vines. Craig Nicholls is rather eccentric, but I like their rocking sound. I particularly like this balladesque cover. 

Ben Lee - Float On (Modest Mouse)

Ben Lee's Awake is the New Sleep was on high rotation for many hours when I first bought it. I think he's an interesting and quirky lyricist. I enjoy the original by Modest Mouse but like Ben's version better :)


Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)

I eased my way into Nirvana through their MTV Unplugged album, and The Man Who Sold the World is a favourite of mine. I am not sure whether I've heard the original by David Bowie.

Placebo - Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer)

I didn't hear the original by Robert Palmer until it was randomly played on Triple M a few years back. I like the drums and energy of Placebo's version. Robert Palmer's seems a little flat.

Florence and the Machine - Hospital Beds (Cold War Kids)

I know a few Cold War Kids songs and like them very much. When I hear this song through my headphones, it feels like Florence is singing in the same room as me.


Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

Ok, so I don't like the Tori Amos version more than Nirvana's, but I like it a lot. It sounds like a music box.

I've been wanting to share these covers with you. I hope you like them as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Some great covers there Carly, I particularly like Sarah Blasko's version of Flame Trees. She also sang a beautiful version of Don't Dream It's Over for the She Will Have Her Way album which I'm sure you have. And Missy Higgins does Stuff and Nonsense on there too which I love. I must say I prefer David Bowies version of The Man Who Sold The World. Love Nirvana though.

    You might also love Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall (Oasis)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVxRvNfFLg&feature=related

    And I really love Wes Carr's version of All Along The Watchtower - trust me you'll like him:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOI-PwDIsQ

    I think you could almost do another cover versions blog actually haha

    Lucy
    X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails