22 April 2012

Slow cooked Mexican pork

I'm a big fan of multitasking. So much so it's probably more procrastination than multitasking. When I'm doing something, I feel like I should be doing something else.

So today when I had important stuff to do, I really wanted to be doing something else. Cooking a meal. And so I did. In the slow cooker. It's the perfect way to cook a meal when you've got stuff to do. And it's like a reward at the end of that important stuff.

I am obsessed with Mexican food now. I had tacos from the Taco Truck yesterday. And I wanted more today. But I didn't have the time to make and assemble tacos the way I wanted.
And I needed meals for weekday lunches. And I wanted it to be cheap. A slow cooked meal ticks all these boxes.

I bought a few ingredients for this dish, but I also had some in the pantry and fridge.

First step: marinade pork scotch fillets (low fat and cheap, and freerange at $8 for six). I cut each fillet into four with kitchen scissors. My marinade was half a cup of lemonade, the juice of one lime and one lemon, chopped coriander, chopped chilli and a garlic clove. I lay the pork fillet in the marinade and put it in the fridge for an hour.

While it was marinading (and my dishwasher was washing the slow cooker pot from last night's meal (Moroccan lamb and apricots) I cut a heap of veggies - carrot, onion, garlic, red and green capsicum and mushrooms.

Once the dishwasher was finished, I layered the veggies and pork in the slow cooker with half a tin of tomatoes, a tin of kidney beans and sprinkled half a sachet of fajita mix over it. And I poured over the marinade. I put the lid on and cooked it on low heat for five hours.

I've had a spoonful and it is amazing - the pork is melt in your mouth soft and it's such a tasty dish. I'll be serving it on rice with corn, plain yoghurt and more chilli, plus some cheese.

While it's been cooking I've been able to work on that very important task. :)

12 comments:

  1. It’s actually a nice and useful piece of post. I am glad that you simply shared with us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm carly this sounds seriously delicious! you've made me so hungry, and wanting to buy a slow-cooker :P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel it was so good. A bit of prep but worth it :)

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome recipe!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twins! Am obsessed too- great for vegetarians and can be actioned in 2 minutes flat. Hooray x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to give me some vego slow cooker recipes FF x

      Delete
  5. I lo-o-o-ve slow cooked food. Casseroles and potroasts.
    But I don't like Mexican. Most of the ingredients are okay, but something in the spice mixes doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mexican is so varied. That packet stuff doesn't do it justice.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome recipe and as it is coming into the slow cooker season, it is perfect timing for me to see this! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I was in the middle of sending you an email when all disappeared. Anyway, what you made is close to Chili Verde or Pork Stew. If you take any kind of white fish cut up in small pieces and add lemon or lime, and let sit in the refrigerator overnight the acid in the lemon or lime will cook the fish done. Add a small amount of onion, cucumber and tomato and you have what we call Ceviche, serve on a hard shell flat tortilla and you have one of the greatest yummy treats. Along with the fish you can add small shrimp, octopus, and you have Ceviche Mixta. Wonderful. You will like it. I can give you many Mexican dishes to make. djones711@verison.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails