02 December 2010

Music I've been missing - MGMT, Time to Pretend

Sometimes I am best reminded of the music I've been missing when I am in that sleepy state in the morning. My radio alarm is blaring, and certain songs sort of incorporate themselves into my dreams, even though they're playing in real life. I don't know how to explain it - maybe real time dreaming? It is a weird state to be in.

The most recent song that incorporated itself into my dream was on this past weekend's sleep in when I heard MGMT's Time to Pretend. Of course, many songs went by - I slept through some, and was awake through others (usually the god-awful Rhianna, even worse Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars and rap/hip hop crap I hate so much), but it was only MGMT that caused my real time dream.



In my dream I was telling someone how much I love this song. I remember in 2008 when I first heard Time to Pretend - once on the radio and then in stores, and in the movie 21. I loved it, and felt like I'd discovered a great band. Time to Pretend came in at #18 on Australia's Triple J Hottest 100 countdown for 2008. The song is also 493 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. I knew I was onto a good thing!

MGMT's subsequent singles, Kids and Electric Feel got more radio attention, but these songs didn't win my heart like Time to Pretend.

The meaning of the song may come from a place of drug use. But it's funny:
We wrote Time to Pretend our senior year of college, and the music was inspired by a praying mantis we had in our house. She laid eggs and it died, and we laid the egg case on this kinda model pirate ship on the mantle piece, and the eggs hatched and all these baby praying mantises were climbing up the rigging of the ship, and it was pretty crazy...uhm so the music was inspired by our praying mantis that liked to dance to the Clash {laugh} and the lyrics are just about us imagining being rock stars....and yeah, fantasy rock star life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails