05 August 2011

Music I've been missing - Gotye, and other sad love songs by Aussie musicians

 "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness"
~ Somebody that I used to know, Gotye feat Kimbra
When I did my Hack interview a couple of weeks ago, I told journalist Alex Mann that I prepared myself for talking about love by listening to the saddest love songs I had on my iPod that morning. Songs by Angus and Julia Stone mostly. Alex said it's funny how when we think of love we don't immediately go for the happiest love songs.

Despite how sad the lyrics are, they can lift me up. Listening to sad love songs is a form of empathy. It's reassuring to know that someone as popular, talented and good looking as my musical idols have experienced some of the heartbreak and longing I have. And there's also the fleeting moment of me thinking 'he's single, I'm single, we've both been hurt by love, we can be soulmates...' Um. No.

We discussed how it's like the lyrics of sad songs were written to fit our exact situations. Like this one:
"Here I go.
I'd tell you,
but you already know.

If you love me, with all of your heart.
If you love me, I would make you a star in my universe.
you'll never have to go to work.
you'll spend everyday, shining your light my way." ~ For You, Angus and Julia Stone
Or this one:
"How many days am I gonna regret you?
How many nights till I forget you?
Have I been wasting all those years
Held down by these tears
How many dreams have I left deserted?
How many hopes have been diverted?
Have I been buried in the dirt
Held down by this hurt
And how many lows did I let you highjack
How many ways can I study the playback
How did I end up lying here
Crying underneath a Dublin sky?" ~ Dublin Sky, Darren Hayes
Alex and I also talked about what my ideal romance would be like. Dates at concerts and laughing and cuddles and happiness I guess. I told him that I often idealise the thought of love, rather than the relationship itself. That I tend to create this illusion of what he might really be like in my mind, and in reality, he's not. And I said I am a bit like the Seeker Lover Keeper song:
"I love you more when I’m missing you...
I think I was born to be in a state of longing
Born to be wanting wanting
I put in a letter for you
I love the danger in distance..." ~ Even though I'm a Woman, Seeker Lover Keeper
I quite like missing someone. And I thought I was the only one. But I stand in good company with singer-songwriters Blasko, Seltmann and Throsby with being content with yearning.

This week I discovered the beautiful song, Somebody that I Used to Know by Gotye feat Kimbra. Gotye is the music I've been missing. I don't know how it escaped my radar, but hearing Somebody that I Used to Know reminded me of Gotye's 2006 gem Heart's A Mess. Its dramatic moans, eery bleeps and bleeding lyrics mirrored my heart back then. I'd play it on repeat, pining for my (yet again) unrequited love, never making a move. I'd drive home from his house in the dark hours, analysing every move that nearly happened, singing my lungs out.  I am never as dramatic as when I am yearning for a boy.


Somebody that I Used to Know has similar sentiments. It'd be good to play after a breakup. Perhaps this is the quiet man's You Oughta Know? A few lyrics resonate with me, not that I am in that broken up place now, but my heart does ache, and I am both yearning to be loved and for everything to be ok (heavily weighted to the latter).

"Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end
Always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened
And that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger
And that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records
And then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You said that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened
And that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger
And that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records
And then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

(Somebody)
I used to know
(Somebody)
Somebody that I used to know
(Somebody)
I used to know
(Somebody)
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
I used to know
That I used to know
I used to know
Somebody"

5 comments:

  1. I don't know why I had never heard these songs before! I love them both, and Somebody That I Used To Know would well as a break-up song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I agree with this whole heartedly! I usually listen to sad love songs. I feel like they lift me up as well. My absolute favourite at the moment is 'How' by Maroon 5... It's caused me to tear up a couple of times when I listen to it. Its about breaking up and regretting it afterwards. And even though I cant really relate to that, it still resonates with me.

    I will forever be amazed at the way music makes us feel things. I dont know what I'd do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Goyte. Saw him live a few years ago & missed tickets to see him here in Melb, tix sold out so quicky & I was at work. :(
    Music certainly does speak to us, there's music for everything & like you I tend to go for the sad love songs. Really love that seeker lover keeper song too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "hearts a mess" is one of my favourite songs, its just beautiful. And I am in LOVE with the new Goyte song feat. Kimbra, every time it comes on the radio I crank it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these songs. Especially that somebody that I used to know song. I'm going to download it. It speaks right to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails