23 August 2013

The wind brings change.

It's been horribly windy in Melbourne these past few weeks. It's cold too, rainy most days, and the sun struggles to pierce the grey. Metal mimics the weight of plastic, sturdy objects are blown a few feet off the ground. Wind is tiring, freezing, mood altering. I even think inanimate objects are weary of the wind - imagine being a flag - its thin body flapping, stretched, bending and blowing faster, longer and more out of control than it ever signed up for?! That forced change must be exhausting.

I wrote about weakness, change and grief earlier in the month. I've taken stock and evaluated how I've coped. Overall I'm doing ok. Good even. I am having fun and seeing personal growth. I'm tired but I'm accomplished. I'm happy.

Change seems so frightening - the prospect of newness is daunting until that newness becomes routine. There's less apprehension and more confidence. And there's comfort knowing that the future is bright, even though things won't be the same. Now I am living the change, it's not as bad as I imagined.

I saw that jewelled web hanging from tree branches at the Abbotsford Convent last week. The wind was icy and hurt my eyes. But the artwork brightened the day. I forgot the wind and saw its shimmer. Doesn't it look beautiful against the crisp blue sky? That jewelled web is strong and sparkling, even when it's blowing a gale. That's how I resolve to embrace this change. Strong and sparkling.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Carly. Happy to hear you are doing well and that you can sparkle and be strong through this. I like that...sparkling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just started following your blog after reading a newspaper article about you in my university class. I am loving your honesty and your expression is beautiful.

    In regards to this post, agreed... change is daunting, but is the only way we can experience new and exciting things! I wish you a bright and sparkling future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful image of the jewelled web Carly! And I love the idea of it being
    'strong and sparkling, even when it's blowing a gale'. We should all be that way!!
    I think I need to get myself to Abbotsford Convent. It's been on my mind as I've been there only once but would love to go back. And your post is the fourth mention of it that I've come across in just a few weeks. So a sign, I think!
    Looking forward to reading more of your beautiful blog posts...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails