22 March 2013

Losing some but winning heaps more.

Last night I told someone to fuck off as they were very rude about my appearance.

This is how it went:

Man at tram stop, staring: "What have you done to your face?"

Me: Nothing. I was born like this."

Man, shaking his head: "I don't believe it. Where were you born?"

Me: "Australia."

Man, laughing at me: "I don't believe it."

Me: "Fuck off."

I don't swear at people often but man, sometimes they deserve it. And it feels good.

(And it's ironic - or is it? Alanis always makes me wonder - when I've written this piece about having a conversation with people with visible differences that's generated so much discussion.)

While its important to educate people, it's also not unreasonable to want a break from it all. I'm not always polite when I get questions, especially when someone mocks my truthful answers. Sometimes a big "Fuck Off" is all that's needed when people are extremely rude, and that's ok too. I don't have to endure or be polite all the time.

But it's funny for all the rude people I meet (which aren't that many really), the wonderful people outweigh these tenfold. I was out last night to see the wonderful Glen Hansard and The Frames play at the Melbourne Recital Centre - a review is to come. In short - it was amazing.

Just before Glen came on stage, I popped out to get a drink, and on the way back, I saw someone who looked familiar sitting in the seat in front of mine. It was Julia Stone! She saw me, leapt up and gave me a big warm hug and we had a five minute chat. She's so lovely. And that little gesture, from someone I really admire, meant the world after the fuckwit I encountered earlier.

I lose some, but I win heaps more. Life's good!

 

12 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right - sometimes a huge "fuck off" is good for the soul! Kick ass, sista x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a total loser- there is something seriously wrong with some people. A "fuck off" was definitely warranted in this situation! I think you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a total loser- some people are just ridiculously stupid. A "fuck off" was definitely warranted in this situation! I think you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Thought my first post didn't work so posted it again- should I do it once more just so you are truly sick of reading it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I so so agree! It's so impowering sometimes to tell ignorant rude people where to go. This is my first time visiting your blog. But my friend Anne-Marie Russell speaks so highly of you and is a huge fan I wanted to stop by and say hello. I follow you on Instagram too. In reference to this post I give the time to children to explain but more often with adults now I think they should just know by now. But no matter how many times I still can't believe how plain rude people are and why they think it is appropriate to comment in the first place. Xxxx Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, it is the only thing left to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. You can only take so much and can only be giving with yourself for so long until you meet that one person who deserves nothing more than, "Fuck off!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your night got better! Some people have not heard the old saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Represent, Carly!
    REPRESENT!!
    (ie well done on totes telling that guy to fuck the hell off)
    cilla x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you had to go through that on the tram. People like that definitely deserve a big 'fuck off'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to learn when someone deserves a "fuck off!" And the wins are so, so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails