11 January 2011

Queensland floods continued

The footage of the Queensland floods is heartbreaking. Maybe it's because the news is more immediate now. People are filming and tweeting their experiences. We're seeing the disaster unfold.

It's the worst flood in a century.

75 percent of Queensland has been declared a disaster zone.

Nine people have been confirmed dead. Dozens are missing.

The army is now flying supplies to disaster zones.

Yesterday Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley were obliterated by the floods. Today that water has made its way to Brisbane. The worst days are set to be tomorrow and Thursday.

Brisbane airport has closed tonight.

People are in panic mode stocking up on groceries. I've read a tweet that ATMs are out of money.


And crocodiles are looking for food.

Even if we're fortunate enough not to physically experience them, these floods will affect so many facets of our lives for months to come, maybe years. The economy. Food prices. Fuel prices. Tourism. The workforce. Everything. Today also made me consider how important it is to shop locally to stimulate the Australian economy, and also to maintain the GST so the government can continue supporting the community.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said:
"We are facing one of our toughest ever tests,"
"We will only pass this test if we are calm, if we are patient with each other ... and if we listen carefully to the instructions we are being given.
"Now is not a time for panic, now is the time for us to stick together."
The floods are two states away from where I live in Victoria. Australia is a huge country and at times it feels like we are oblivious to what's happening in another state. But in times of disaster and tragedy, Australians band together. I saw Kinglake, the town destroyed by the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires, is rallying together to assist the people of Queensland. They want to repay Queensland for their support in 2009. There's also this man saving roos in a boat in NSW last year.

People are big hearted. Australia united makes me proud.

My thoughts are with the people of Queensland - friends, colleagues and strangers. Faux Fuschia, Rick Morton, Nikki Hassett and Bern Morley are bloggers I love that live in Queensland. I send my love to you all. Stay safe.

You can donate to the QLD Premier's flood appeal here.

Edit: this is a useful blog entry about what to do in an emergency. And this is a Facebook page about pet rescue.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't read about the Crocodile problem until I read your post. The poor darlings must be so confused, along with everyone else. It's amazing the effect this is having on people - even in Victoria. Good on you for doing a couple of posts about it and raising awareness. It certainly is a hot topic on twitter. One of my besties works for the Herald Sun and he said the photos that are coming in are quite horrific. The only 'happy' photo I've seen so far is that one of the man with the Kangaroos, it made me smile, there is hope in that photo. I posted the link to the flood relief victims donations page after finding it on yours! Thanks for adding it. I'm organizing a bake sale at work. I know a lot of us nurses wish we could go there and help out. Great post Carly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the TV on all day yesterday getting updates and generally sitting there in shock at the magnitude of this disaster. I have had tears roll down my face from seeing people rescued and hearing of more death. It's just so tragic. Thanks for your wonderful posts Carly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly, thanks for this great blog entry.
    It really is terrible here in Brisbane.
    Fortunately, I am not personally affected as yet, but took some photos of the Brisbane River near my house and put them on my blog this morning.
    Can't believe the worst is yet to come...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails