10 May 2014

Ichthyosis Awareness Month: Autumn's story. "Since I made the conscious decision to use my skin disorder in aiding in my passion and dream, I see my Ichthyosis in a different light."

Autumn's story is another one of positivity and celebrating her uniqueness. She is 20 years old, has Lamellar Ichthyosis and lives in Texas. She's a nursing student too.

I love her sense of joy and lack of self pity. I do believe it's this sore of optimism that aids good health - resulting in manageable skin.

Meet Autumn.

"I live in a world that judges one by outward appearances before taking the time to find out what lies deeper than the skin… very thick skin. I was born with Ichthyosis, a genetic mutation that affects the stratum corneum, a layer of the epidermis. In order to manage the skin, I spend about three hours a day doing a plethora of treatments. I am no different than you though. We are all hit with something challenging in our lifetime, whether it is ongoing or not we must learn to conquer and not let it cripple us.

My skin disorder has only made me stronger and more compassionate in this life. It may not be easy, but it is sweet and beautiful when you are not held down by the chains of self-pity, pessimism, and the whole “the grass is greener on the other side” nonsense.

I have a joy that will not go away because I have a few more layers of skin than the people around me. I strive to change the world, not by being a super model, but by using my struggles and weaknesses as gateway into the hearts I speak to. Since I made the conscious decision to use my skin disorder in aiding in my passion and dream, I see my Ichthyosis in a different light.

I love the skin I am in.

I am beautiful.

You are beautiful.

Love,

Autumn Sproull"

 

May is Ichthyosis Awareness Month - I am sharing stories of people who have experienced Ichthyosis. Read all stories in the Ichthyosis Awareness Month Blog Project here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails