27 June 2010

Message to parents

If you have seven children and they're all peering out of a car window at a person who looks different, do something about it.

Especially if they've got their faces smooshed against the window, poking their tongues out and shouting taunts.

A bit like this...

...but five more monkeys, like stacks on, all trying to get a look at that person who looks different.

Don't just sit there oblivious to it all.

Discipline them. If you believe in giving them a light smack, do so. If you discipline them in other ways, like taking their toy away from them, do that.

Teach them at an early age about diversity and acceptance.

Teach them about illness and disability. And about compassion.

Teach them that someone who looks different to them and that doesn't fit the beautiful mould isn't something to be ridiculed.

And don't just say that they're young children and don't understand their actions.

Thank you.

9 comments:

  1. I think you should write a DiVine article on this topic - this is something that needs to be heard. Beautifully articulated, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all have some disability, some small others bigger. but nobody is perfect and the one that think they are perfect are the most stupide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words, girls. I want to write a DiVine artcle about this issue too, but when I speak of it to friends and acquaintances, and even people I don't know, it is often met with the arguments:
    - they are only kids, they don't know any better.
    - aren't you meant to be educating people about your illness? Then why do you get so defensive?
    It is difficult to tackle, and really difficult for people to see my POV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am horrified that parents would allow their children to behave in such a crass manner. And what on earth are they teaching these kids? My Mum would have pinched the hell out of me. And I would have deserved it.

    Although oddly enough my older sister was at the pool one day and a little boy paddled up to her and asked "why are you brown?" she was so shocked she told him "oh I just felt like being brown today".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of your best posts yet, Carly. I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it might be natural for children of 5 and younger to be curious about someone's appearance. But they should be taught manners. Which means, no pointing, no laughing, not saying something about someone in public etc.

    And parents should definitely know better.

    I think you should write the article :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is never too young to teach children. As a matter of fact, if you don't teach them while they are young and you wait too long, it is TOO LATE.

    That pic of the monkey cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of dress designs can be easily transformed into a summer dress with a little nip here, a little tuck there. One quick way to dress cooler is to cut the sleeves. Use tape to bind the bottom...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails