06 May 2015

Ichthyosis Awareness Month - Rebekah's story: "I've experienced people who think I'm stupid because of my skin."

Rebekah is coming across the ditch from New Zealand for the Australian Ichthyosis Meet this Saturday. I am really excited that she's making the trip, and that I can meet someone around my age with the condition. I've known her online for around three years - and see she leads a very active life. She has Lamellar Ichthyosis

Meet Rebekah. 



"I've had Lamellar Ichthyosis since my birthday. I am 32 almost 33!! And I live in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Growing up was scary and isolated, though there were plenty of good times and experiences as well.
I work full time and study classical piano performance at diploma level as well as normal social events as well

I work in a call centre and I like doing anything that involves music art or culture - I am a classically trained pianist - I enjoy sports as well although sometimes health issues prevent me from participating.

Being busy keeps me out of mischief.Through living a full life - it gives me self confidence and worth, like contributing to society in a positive way. 

Barriers for me have been people not understanding that having different skin doesn't mean anything is affected. I've experienced people who think I'm stupid because of my skin.

My message for young people with ichthyosis is: live life to the fullest and give everything a go and focus on the positives. I'm a "glass half full" kind of girl. Surround yourself with positive people who support and love you for you.

YES I am excited about the meet up for  many reasons but mainly I will get to meet someone who "actually understands " what its like and can empathise on every level."

May is Ichthyosis Awareness Month - I am sharing stories of people who have experienced Ichthyosis. Read all stories in the Ichthyosis Awareness Month Blog Project here.

3 comments:

  1. Your beauty and positivity shines out from you, Rebekah! So glad you will get to meet Carly and the others in person. There is something so great about getting together with your tribe! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly and Rachel Cox, Rebekah is an awesome person, and I'm proud to have her as a mate of mine.
    Liz Koppert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your message for young people living with this condition. Just beautiful. Enjoy the meet. :-) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails